Sunday 30 March 2003

I went to see The Life of David Gale with Ruth this evening, which was nice. I had no idea what I was in for, not having read any reviews or synopses or anything like that, which was quite exciting. There were only four other people in the cinema. It started off terrible, and moved towards standard but engaging - an okay film. It was chock full of cliches, but nyeh. Only two things to say. Firstly that "The Life" is a misnomer, as it focuses only on the years leading to his death. Pedantry concluded, I wanted to say (as the film did actually get to eventually) that in the bible "an eye for an eye" is not the only position expressed. A little while back, my fellow English students in my Shakepeare and Renaissance Tragedy (Renaissance Blood and Death) seminar group expressed dismay regarding Matthew 5:
"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. But I tell you [something rather different].

There's certainly something to be said for Romans 12:19 too. I scarcely know why I bothered typing all that, the majority of you knowing already I guess, but it seems to be a common misperception. I suppose every little helps.

Ruth mentioned when I dropped her back at her place that she had read that Camberley had the highest proportion of houses with internet access in the country - 66% apparently. Somehow we also came to be trying to remember what singles Zig and Zag off The Big Breakfast released. Ruth enquired whether they did that "rolling, rolling, rolling" one. It's funny 'cos it's true.