Friday 18 April 2003

I was gearing myself up to not be studiedly indifferent to Avril Lavigne, because I rather like her new song, "I'm with you", I think it's called. It's nice - Miss Lavigne stops being pseudo-punk to show us her sensitive side. Awww. I'm all in favour of sensitive sides, but I saw the accompanying video on MTV today, and went off her again. She just looks so grumpy. "I'm sensitive," she appears to emote, "and you're not doing anything about it!" At one point she authentically shoves some peripheral guy, presumably for not loving her enough. Good grief. I only wish I could reproduce Great Pop Things' view of famous people who write songs about how miserable they are. Alas, it is not to be. I'd highly reccomend it. Colin B. Morton, co-author, and I are at variance on a few points; Don't you just hate it when someone whose work you admire has you in their idiotic/insane category? Blessed am I, says the Boy Adventurer anyway... Avril's central lyric is slightly disturbing too: "I don't know who you are, but I'm with you." - Run like the wind Avril, this guy might be dangerous! Also, Madonna:
I'd like to express my extreme point of view,
I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew.

And what? That's it? I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew and here's a million dollars....or I'm not a Christian and I'm not a Jew and here's your own spaceship...