Saturday 12 April 2003

The Times' review of Johnny English:
YOU HAVE to be a diehard (preferably half-dead) fan of Atkinson's brand of slapstick comedy to enjoy this disappointing James Bond spoof. [...] It is a thankless medley of faintly amusing and entirely predictable scenes involving flashy cars being clamped and high-tech gizmos that don't work. [...] *

Great - now I don't know what to think...

I have posted this at Victor's blog, and would value your ideas also, as I gather many of you do not read his blog, let alone his comments boxes:
I suggest that instead of ceremonies such as saluting flags and stuff, nations could have antithetical "national humility" rituals. I'm sure someone could think of a good one, but my ideas so far tend towards the ludicrous.

Does anyone have any better ideas?


One of my ludicrous ideas was that someone in national dress be pushed into a vat of lukewarm custard. Another was that a national flag be drawn on gravel in a playground using Marmite and vigourously yet solemnly jumped upon to the soundtrack that Brian uses to get his creative juices going in Spaced. Maybe your ideas will not involve foodstuffs - who can tell?