Monday 14 April 2003

Well, today has been quite event-filled so far. Richard from Workbase phoned again. Somewhat predictably, he had forgotten that I'd told him that I was finishing on Friday. He phoned me later to ask if I still had the shoes I'd borrowed. I informed him that they were on the minibus.

Receiving your Degree is one of the most important moments in your life. It marks a transition into a world of new experiences as well as recognising the reward of study. It is time for reflection, but most of all for celebration!

Wow, I gotta get me some of that! When I attended Adrian's boring graduation, there was guy playing the organ, which was odd, and Adam Hart Davies received an honorary degree. Will Exeter be able to compete? Tune in later to see! To this end I've been filling in those forms, and without bells and whistles my graduation will come to £73.90 - Robes; Accomodation; Photos. The degree day booking office seem to think I might want to spend more than this, having "arranged a blend of events and activities to complement [my] special day." Let's play a game - you guys guess how many fingers I'm holding up and also which institution of higher learning they might be pointed at. Click for a hint. £40.90 of this I owe to Mum and Dad currently, because I forgot my chequebook. At one point in the proceedings, I noticed that two forms I was going to send separately were both going to the same address. I had already sealed the envelope, and thus leapt at the chance to steam it open, like what they do in the movies! I boiled a kettle, held it over the spout, and tried to peel it open while, to my consternation, it became rapidly soggy and misshapen. Naturally, it didn't get any better from hereon in, so I ripped it open and sellotaped the mess back together. I think there's a lesson in here for all of us. Somehow I contrived to get Nicholas to post it all for me. In the course of filling in these things, I came to realise that my student card should cover me for discounts for an extra year. Huzzah! It runs out in October 2004, which is the same as the expiry date on card for my student account. Spooky.

I also learnt that Exeter was the tax office which had dealt with my pay of late. This is great, because it means that I can a) put it on the back-burner and b) deal with the human face of the eater of worlds, and of children, just by walking in, rather than phoning, or - heaven forfend - writing.

Nicholas was considering moving his room around. I love moving rooms around, as some of you may know, but I can't really change much about my room either at home or at university, owing to their configuration. So I helped Nicholas to re-arrange, moving his computer, PS2 and his dust around. Then we realised that with his keyboard out of the way (he never used it) he could bring his bass up. Awesome. I got very keen during all this, dusting and polishing everything. If his room was tidy, I'd have been able to make it look great, but it does at least look better. I kept on flinging all his possessions onto the bed, berating him for being so untidy, and for having an inability to notice huge piles of dust whilst hoovering agressively into piles of useless junk. It was great fun. I love tidying. I like things tidy too, but of late this has been an impossibility, owing to my association with James and his 'cleaning is a sign of weakness' approach to life.