Thursday 17 April 2003

Went into Camberley again today. As I ambled down the hill, I heard a rustling in the bushes. I stopped and looked around, and saw a mouse darting into cover. I also saw three squirrels today, and nearby, pigeons pecking around in the woodland, something which I haven't seen much of. It was a spectacularly pleasant and sunny day. Nicholas informs me that there was a bush fire the other side of the A30. I didn't notice it, despite crossing over.

I met Ruth outside the library, and we chatted for a bit while she ate some sandwiches. Comedy Ruth moment of today was when she thought that "Walking on the Sun" by Smash Mouth contained the words "this is an art attack". I found it oddly comforting to realise that Neil Buchanan is still doing that. Shane, at work, could not remember Tony Hart, or Hart Beat, on a related note. Then we sauntered down to the Robins Cinema and I finally saw Johnny English. It being a bank holiday, there was a high quotient of youth. The film neither blew me away, nor did it bore me - it was okay. There were laboured bits and quite good bits. The title track was by Robbie Williams, and this was not something of which I approved.

Ruth went back to Farnborough after that, but I stayed in Camberley to meet up wih Mark. Neither of us could think of anything to do today when we thought about it yesterday, so we just met up in Camberley in the vain hope that something particularly entertaining would present itself. So we just wandered round, talking about various ephemeral things. He spent about £70 on CDs apparently, and bought a card an an easter egg. I bought nothing. We went into a bar briefly, to try and get some food, but iot had gone past 1500 by that point, so Mark just bought a pint of some manner of lager and some balti crisps. Mark noticed a Lord of the Rings fruit machine behind me, but didn't try it out. After a while, Mark got bored and went home, so I did too, pausing only to purchase a Wall's (Unilever) Solero - very nice it was. Some of the neighbours' kids were playing hide and seek in our cul-de-sac, which was good to see.