Tuesday 6 May 2003

So far, for my birthday, I've got a first - Huzzah! 74 marks where 70 is a 1st, so that's pretty solid. While enveloped in a haze of smugness, I shall quote gratuitously from the feedback:
This is a higly intelligent, hugely energetic*, and very provocative essay - well done. These are not plays one would usually think to put together, yet you _ them together beautifully _.

I'm slightly perturbed by the apparent lack of internal moderation, but never mind eh? I always pull this trick of putting unlikely texts together (In this case The Revenger's Tragedy & The Tragedy of Mariam); I reccomend it to anyone who writes essays - if you make life hard for yourself, you score simply for effort. It's not all beer and skittle though. I noticed the following phrase in my conclusion, which surely merits some demerits:
deeply farcical, the wry exposition of well-meaning didactic hyperbole

Now I shall attempt to bring my first-rate intelect to bear on something other than the twiddling of thumbs.

Wow! Middleton wrote a play about Hengist, he being one of the fithy saxons that Vortigern (boo!) let into Britain (named, oh so obviously, after Brutus, who as we know, landed here, establishing the eternal nobilty of the British) so that they could drive all the real Britons into Wales and Cornwall, or so the story goes. It's okay though, because it looks as though Uther is there to lay the smack down on Hengist's candy ass. Gotta read that before I lose my internet connection.