Sunday 8 June 2003

Tonight, Joe had suggested that we make a pub expedition, so myself, James, Andy and Joe traipsed down to the Artful to imbibe moderately priced sources of alcohol. John joined us later having had an exam that morning. This we discussed among other things, in the Artful's less than usually pleasant (Saturday crowd) surroundings. Well, we were all having a good time. So good a time in fact, that when Andy suggested going to the Lemmy I didn't laugh in his face. He was as taken aback by this as I was. Must have been in a funny mood. Anyway, I think Joe was up for it from the off, which leaves James and John. Hmm. James said he'd go if John did. I expect he thought that was the end of the matter, as there was not a hope in hell that John was going to come. The very idea! So, as John rightly pointed out, we bullied him into going along with us. I discovered that I was overdrawn at the cashpoint, but thought I should ignore it for the time being, and it vanished from my mind.

People always say that when you go to the Lemmy, you are amazed at how many people you meet there. When you say that you've never ran into anyone you want to run into there, they backtrack and say that you make friends with all the regulars. At this point I tend to snort contemptuously. "My arse.", I think, whilst cryptically whatever facial growth I have at the time of going to press. Must be an attitude thing; as I didn't really care if I met anyone there (I had with me a goodly crew) I met tonnes of unexpected people. Well, tonnes for a stay-at-home like meself anyway. I ran into Nina's housemate and vehement non-Belgian, Wouter, Mary, and Elain. This latter, who is friends with some of Mary's friends, said that it was odd she had run into me, because she had thought about me early in the day. "How delightful.", I thought. She had been recalling, however, the occasion upon which I went to the Imperial and spewed volcanically over a new suit that I had bought. This is the only occasion upon which I have not recalled a large portion of a night due to to being thus profaned. Honurs binds me to point out that this usage of "profane" is Andy's. I also saw one of our next door neighbours, who I always say "Hi." to in passing because on the first day I went next door to try and introduce myself. I also ran into John, a theology student I believe, from my corridor in the first year and some of his friends. I had not seen John since the first year except withinn the past four days, when I have ran into him thrice. Odd.

When we got bored of dancing to certain club standards (Dee-lite, Groove is in the heart being a notable highlight) and James' and John's studied disruption of our vibe via their dancing (again c.f. John), which was the very antithesis of cool, certain members of our party felt the urge of nostalgia. Therefore we went to the Italian Job (Un Momento's) for megaburgers. Some random guys gave us an unwanted pizza. It had meat on, but it was still pretty cool. James keeps on taking the piss out of me for being a vegetarian. Anyway, then we went to Lopes for further retro action. I tried to play table tennis with John, but I was more merry than is conducive to tabel tennis, so my place was taken by Andy, while I hid in an alcove behind a curtain. Well, I wasn't really hiding; I was just being mildly quirky. However, I was bewildered to find certain among us querying my whereabouts. I thought it was pretty obvious really. Lopes is a small sort of a hall, so everybody living there can pick out strangers pretty easily. We, walking in through the open door, therefore amused/perturbed the residents who were hanging by the doorway. We strolled out to a pointed "Good night" from one such.

When we got back we went up to John and Joe's flat, for I had desired to investigate Joe's rap depository. Mother Hubbard tha Police and all that. Um, yeah, and then we slept, little knowing that would feel unexpectedly worse for wear the next day.

* * *

I did very little the following day. I did manage to make it to Mass though, and partook of the cheap, invigorating properties of Red Bull, available at Noah's Ark.