Monday 9 June 2003

Well, I guess blogger must be working again now.

So - today. I woke up at 0530. I had determined to sort out many things today - at 0530 I was far too asleep to do anything constructive, yet very much awake enough to stress about all that had to be done. I put on Morimur, a kind of perfomative essay on Bach at probably too loud a volume, and waited 'til dread 8 hath come. Did some realtive phoning to try and sort out a way to get all my stuff back home. Must also remember to go and see a film or something with Neil.

I went to campus first, to the careers centre, which was as helpful as it ever is. Apparently, my temperament is fundamentally ill-suited to the kind of work which graduates are meant to do. Then I picked up some stuff about Natwest graduate accounts, which I should probably read. I also worked out that I was overdrawn on my student account, which is fine, as opposed to my current account, which has no agreed OD facility. This would then have been a most perturbing development, but it's coooooooooool.

Wandered to town. On my way to get my hair cut, a Krishna monk, looking for "cool people like yourself" said that he thought my hair was "cool". Pah. He wanted to give me a book (donation of about £4-5) but I said I needed the money for a haircut. Then he said £1. If I'd really wanted the book, I would have felt guilty about taknig it at that price. This relates to my idea, as proposed to the assembled in th'Artful, that pubs could have decent books as ornamentation, provided that they were largely treatises on morality and the like. Then the kind of person who wanted to read them would be the kind of person who didn't want to steal them. I didn't want the book, so I just got a slip about a forthcoming Krishna celebration. And a haircut. Not from the monk. I think it rather a good idea to have a bike next year (can't afford a car) , so I went to Halford's to investigate prices. "Do you sell second-hand bikes here?" says I. "I do." says he. Now I have an appointment to view a £60 bike this evening at this guy's house. I also bought some CDs from MVC. More Bach. Owing to Mr. Bach's prolific nature, it is not a simple thing to try and purchase a representative work. I bought a recording of The Brandenburg Concertos and St. John (sic) Passion. Shouldn't it be "John's"?

When I got back to get some dinner, Gavin was visibly taken aback at my hair, as was Paul. James has not mentioned it. This might be because it is a slightly irritating thing for someone who has had a drastic hair reconfiguration worked upon them when those about them says things like "It looks much better now." This suggests the paucity of respect they've had for your chosen hairstyle over the years. Most likely though, it is because he can't work up the enthusiasm to say "It's all right, I suppose."