Tuesday 8 July 2003

More New Eusebius; on the Novatianist schism. It seems the chap set himself up as a rival pope. There was a disagreement as to whether serious sins (In the Decian persecution many professors went to eat food sacrificed to idols) could be confessed. Novatian thought idolatry unpardonable. So he set up his own church, and for a while there was another church, kinda like the Pius X chaps now, I guess. Except after a few centuries the Novatianists were declared orthodox, yet schismatic. It's all a bit confusing. They packed in in the seventh century ultimately.

I phoned Vicki to see how she was doing, and had a chat with her whilst drinking gin and tonic, which is something I do only whilst at home. Perhaps I should talk about the conversation, but it was slightly all over the place. If you were that interested you'd phone me. I shall phone Rosie at some point too, only I'm going out to see The Matrix: Reloaded this evening (Wednesday - bit slack) with Ruth.

Then I watched Fawlty Towers. It was good, but was a bit confused, because I thought I'd seen that episode already. Not getting very far with Emma; it's all this church history I'm reading.