Thursday 10 July 2003

Ohhhhhh. Dan mentioned that he was reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy and, after a spell on the internet, I know what he's talking about now. Apparently, and this is merely passing on what I've heard, Philip Pullman is someone who hates the Narnia series so much that he had to write a trilogy of books in opposition to it. Interesting. I've been hearing for a while now from Christians that someone was going to redo the Narnia series in some form, minus the explicitly Christian bits. Two possibilities occur; a) that these Narnia remake things which I hear about are the result of a misunderstanding, and they really refer to Pullman's anti-Narnia, whatever that's called or b) there will be, in relatively short order, a little pop-cultural theological showdown. Pullman's trilogy is, I hear, to be turned into a screenplay by Stoppard. I like Tom Stoppard. Gosh. In any case, I hope I can borrow the books off Dan at some point.