Monday 25 August 2003

A pretty bitty day thus far. I'm trying to arrange things like my interview, which is more complicated than it might be, and also a day-trip to France. In the course of this, I edned up speaking to Luke in our new house. He excitingly informs me that he has become a contact-worker for Belmont, which is well good. Also, I've claimed his room, as apparently he derives some kind of benefit from this; something to do with Norris pestering him to move out while he's trying to write essays. He also informs me that he is making progress with the lick from "Northern Star" by Hole which I tabbed for him when I was round there last. It is a very peculiar thing to think that two people think I play the guitar significantly better than them. I certainly don't do too much to deserve the reputation.

I have this huge mouth ulcer underneath my tongue which I've been ignoring, but it got quite painful yesterday, so I went into town and bought some stuff to put on it, Bonjela I think it's called. On the way into town I saw this fabulous little white and yellow bird on the pavement; goodness knows what it was. Two things about Bonjela. Firstly, it proudly proclaims that it is sugar-free, which I shoul have thought was a matter of course, and secondly there is a discrepancy in the instructions: Children are instructed to apply the stuff with a clean finger, adults merely with a finger. I've got my damage deposit back, and today I finally bought some new trainers. They are mid-blue.

I wondered on the way back whether most of my moral actions, or inaction as the case may be, are motivated by habit and by a sense of duty rather than by an awareness of the presence and love of God. Probably. I've been trying to keep God's presence in mind of late.

When I got back I watched the last bit of Gods in the Sky. It was good again. The beginning was bad though - there was a lot of needless recapping. Turns out the chap is a Christian (probably Catholic) and he made a case for Christianity being the impetus behind a lot of scientific progress; as welcome as it was unexpected. It was sort of a pity moving to Christian astronomy though. It seemed somehow more like a normal history documentary. No outlandish weirdness hindering Christian rationalism I mean.