Saturday 27 December 2003

How odd; I think Dad logged into Blogger but didn't post.

Well, I haven't posted for a while, but that's run of the mill. I'm a little more surprised that some of my friends' blogs haven't updated. I'd like to know what Rob, Dan, James, Lisa and Zosia have been up to - honest. Will and Rosie have been blogging.

Anyhow, little as my prestige is in blogland, I feel bound to do something to recover the situation and blog. Now the last thing was a German translation of Here Comes the Sun, because of a conversation I had with Norris on the morning when he went back home. Hi Norris - 'nuff respeck. So I guess I'll start with Christmas Eve.

Half day at work on Jesusmas Eve, but many people elected to take the day of, so it was only myself, Jackie, Ralph and Mike in today. I had some pay increments to write up for retained firemen, and some late leavers' notices, but they didn't result in any overpayments, so there was no rush on them - a quiet day, and I ran out of stuff today, hence the blog post at work. Usually, I'd ask my supervisors if they had any more work for me, but neither of them were in. One of my managers, Wendy, who is and old-school vegetarian and recycles Christmas cards, or at the very least, recycles my Christmas cards, came round shortly after twelve to announce knocking off time, and I wandered back over to my house. I'd left the car that my parents leant me at the chaplaincy, as is my wont. I could have left it closer to work and driven from there, but I didn't want to.

There followed, surprisingly, one of the easiest drives from Exeter to Surrey that I have ever had. The traffic was minimal where I was expecting a deluge. I was a little tired by the end notwithstanding. Not tired enough to stop me verbally harassing my nearest and dearest pretty much immediately upon arrival, friendly-like. The gang was there, including Nan, and we chatted for a bit. I forget quite what I did for much of the evening, but part of it involved getting ready for, and indeed going through, midnight mass, which I believe was called "midnight communion". Politics aside, midnight mass sounds shedloads better. I was too tired to appreciate it really. And after it I went to bed.

And I woke up and it was Christmas. Or rather I got up and it was Christmas, for which I felt slightly under-prepared. I got to church early to run through the hymns. Today I was the only musician (with an instrument) whereas Nicholas played the recorder, which sounded quite good actually. Not very many people at church today, but there was a small group of people at the back who I hadn't seen before.

Christmas day was spent very lazily by me at least. I've been pretty lazy all this holiday so far.

Shall I tell you what I got? A DVD player, A wall calendar with castles on, socks, chocolates, ?20, a metallic puzzle such as one may find in Burton, The Sovereignty of Good by Iris Murdoch, Sexie by Eddie Izzard, Weasels Ripped my Flesh by Frank Zappa, more chocolates, and I think that was it.

Shall I tell you what I gave? Some tea-lights and tea-light holders, The God of Small Things, Beetlejuice, an NRSV, cross-reference edition with apocrypha, some diabetic chocolates for Dad with amusing laxative disclaimer.

I don't think I gave as good as I got.
Mum maintained that I asked here for a "macho calendar". Does it seem likely to anyone that I uttered those words? I didn't think so either. I said no flowers - I can practically feel the masculine force of those words coursing through me now. Must.. burn... things...

Boxing day was a strange day, where I retreated into myself in order to work out how I could best approach other people. God is love, but I feel very deficient in the business of love-ditribution. It has to change, and I may even make some New Year's resolutions based on it. I read rather a lot today, and half-heartedly determined that I should commit some definite ideas for a closer walk with God to paper. At some point. Weather permitting. 'Hem.

Today was the day after boxing day. We had an expedition to Reading today. Well, four of us did, Mum, Mum's Mum, Me and Neil, who, confound it all, has disturbed the alliterative flow. I didn't find out about this trip until this morning, otherwise I would have gone to bed earlier. I figured I had ?70 quid to spend from Christmas one way or another, so I spent it. Here is what I got. I found Newman's Apologia Pro Vita Sua (I think that that means something like "Apology (in the classic sense) for my life") in Oxfam and snapped it up. I also got an umbrella to protect me from the rain
I like the rain; it rains on me,
God made the rain and God made me.
and a personal radio so I can listen to Chris Moyles new breakfast show on the way to work. I bought a toy for the whole house to enjoy as well though. Got a digital cordless phone so no-one has to sit on the stairs anymore - people can have more privacy for their phone calls and impede less physical progress - huzzah! If any of my fellow-tenants are reading this, you could think of it as my (terms and conditions apply) gift to you! I only hope there's a plug socket near the phone line.

To be honest I really don't know what the phone set up is exactly in our house. I'm rather keen to find out. Are there only two sockets, one for each phone-line? The manual says the best thing is to have the phone placed relatively high-up in the house. Would that work? Well anyway.

My phone's still crap, so I haven't responded either to Dan or Nina yet for their lovely Christmas messages. In any case, merry Cringletide all. I get to see Return of the King later today - wahey!