Tuesday 6 April 2004

Faith Alone?

Image of "Dawn: Luther at Erfurt" wh...Image via Wikipedia
Catholicism teaches a gospel of faith and works. The Bible teaches one solely on faith. If that isn't inconsistent I don't know what is. - Gavin

Well, if what you said was true then you'd be right, but I absolutely refuse to grant your conclusion, as your second premise is faulty. It is as plain as daylight to me, looking at the bible, that the idea that "The Bible teaches [a gospel based] solely on faith" is not a given.

Here's Catholic teaching on justification, grace and merit. I would encourage you to peruse it - it's not that long. If you must, however, take this as a hasty non-infallible summary by someone who has much to learn: Faith leads us to works - God takes our works and makes them good, as we are not in any way able to, fully by his own grace. Salvation by works alone is pile of pish, and a slur on Catholic teaching. As I say, see what the Church says.

If the Bible speaks for itself, let it - it wouldn't need your help.

In the meantime, I'll just give you a couple of passages that undermine your (insofar as it is stated) groundless assertion. I don't expect that you won't have an answer, but I do think that it won't do the fullness of Scripture justice. We both know that the Bible "contain[s] some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction." You apparently think that the Catholic Church is ignorant and unstable, but all your arguments have ever done for me is built up my admiration for the fullness and coherence of Catholic teaching.

Just two verses for the moment, and these may well suffice, because the Church's teaching accounts for them and your's doesn't seem to.

Matthew 7:21 - "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

James 2:24 -You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

In fact, this is a bit too easy. How will you account for the fact that James 2:24 flatly contradicts what you say? I think the whole of James 2 mirrors my inept summary of Church teaching rather well too.
Enhanced by Zemanta