Friday 23 April 2004

From Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum.

"Commissions as well as councils or committees established by the Bishop to handle ?the promotion of the Liturgy, sacred music and art in his diocese?[...]"

Wow - I hope the Plymouth diocese has one of these. I'd like to know what they're up to.

"As early as the year 1970, the Apostolic See announced the cessation of all experimentation as regards the celebration of Holy Mass[62] and reiterated the same in 1988."

Ooh - I think I'm glad I missed that.

"Nevertheless, from the fact that the liturgical celebration obviously entails activity, it does not follow that everyone must necessarily have something concrete to do beyond the actions and gestures, as if a certain specific liturgical ministry must necessarily be given to the individuals to be carried out by them."

Oh dear - are there churches where people feel under a constant obligation to be 'useful'? Hmm. Personally, I'm very happy to let the liturgy be performed by people who know what they're about, and to concentrate on what I am receiving rather than how I'm facilitating it. For this reason, I'm glad to have Wednesdays free again. I like playing guitar at mass, but I prefer to be caught up in it, and to be able to sing.

"(thus the word ekklesia is related to klesis, or ?calling?)"

Ooh.

"The reprobated practice by which Priests, Deacons or the faithful here and there alter or vary at will the texts of the Sacred Liturgy that they are charged to pronounce, must cease. For in doing thus, they render the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy unstable, and not infrequently distort the authentic meaning of the Liturgy."

I was given to understand that there is some flexibility involved in this - that priests can alter the readings, at least, to suit pressing pastoral needs. I guess this is probably more about things that occur in ever mass, like the sanctus &c.

There's more on this - hmm. No Liturgy of the Word without the Liturgy of the Eucharist - Hmmm.

Homily - never by a layperson. Hmm.

"[66.] [...] students of theological disciplines"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Lisa a theology student? Actually, I probably just imagined it. Ignore me.

" In Holy Mass as well as in other celebrations of the Sacred Liturgy, no Creed or Profession of Faith is to be introduced which is not found in the duly approved liturgical books."

That's gotta hurt.

"It is appropriate ?that each one give the sign of peace only to those who are nearest and in a sober manner?"

That's interesting too. I am occasionally, not very often, inclined to think that it would be nice to offer peace to everybody. I gather that the idea of this is for the peace to be significant, but not divert from the Eucharist. Really, if I want to get chummy with the rest of the congregation, it would be a good thing to do so in the context of the messa, i.e. not limited to the building, or to Sundays.

"?The purpose of a variety of colour of the sacred vestments is to give effective expression even outwardly to the specific character of the mysteries of faith being celebrated and to a sense of Christian life?s passage through the course of the liturgical year?"

Having said that, I fully sympathise with Delian's unease at being obliged to wear pink at certain times of the year.

It's a good thing that the vatican has a website - otherwise, I'd have to look a lot harder to find this stuff. Woo. Thanks James.