Monday 17 May 2004

Oh goodness, where does the time go? I seem to keep myself busy these days.

Debate on Thursday, which I've realised I don't want to spend my lunch-break writing about - so I won't.

On Friday after work I strolled along to Will's wherein I met him. He treated me to various items of food and drink - thanks Will - and we had a quick drink in the Eagle. Earlier than usual. Belmont, our friendly local Brethren church, have been extending themselves of late and were inviting people in to look at the extension. I mean new rooms and suchlike. This is why I had come to Will's, so we cpould go and case the joint. It's a pretty strange idea I reckon, inviting people to look at your new church building, but there you are. Apparently there's a market for it. We looked round and met Rosie, and ended up talking very universally to a chap named Robin - posession, karma, justice, matriarchy. Well, I say we - I did most of the talking. I'd swear I used to be really quiet. What happened? After a while Will and Rosie had to leave but I offered to buy Robin a pint. Will said I never bought him pints. It's true - sorry Will. In fact, while I'm here - everybody, have a pint on me at some point. I just hope you don't all gang up on me at once.

I walked home cheerily and seem to recall finding Ella playing Zelda. After that, a blank. I dunno.

On Saturday, most of the house left for cyclage to Dawlish, but I had shopping to do. Got an umbrella, new clothes pegs, a (hopefull)y decent white shirt, Shostakovich's first and second violin concertos, oh, and some clothes. All clearance from TK Maxx. A silly brown tee-shirt with ostentatious orange stitching (sort of a DIY fascist look I suppose...), some faux combats with silly writing on the back which I hope to scratch off at some point, and some relatively sensible new jeans. Hopefully I will never need any clothes ever again. Still, it took less time than usual.

Eurovision party at the chaplaincy. Fr. Paul clearly had more sensible things to be doing as he cycled in the opposite direction. Good it was. Very loud though - why on earth do people buy Lisa coke? Well, I expect she asks for it. Not to disappointed at a Ukrainian victory. Serbia and Montenegro was my sensible choice , but very happy with inanity too. Drank vodka - stolat! I think.

Sunday Mass was haphazard for me, as Zosia and Lisa had outdone themselves by apparently trying to do absolutely everything. I got confused, but they meant well, very well in fact. Wish I was a bit more help at such things.

Went canoeing - it was great. My competitive streak had a great comeback as I relentlessly derided my companions, Rob and Lisa in the name of progress. Sorry guys - I get a bit silly. Drank Royal Oak at the Double Locks, which, to my mind, tasted a bit like it was an oak. Then rowed back. I had to row harder on the way back, which is how I prefer things.

Pub quiz was quite good, though we didn't win. We had to split up and came second and third. My team was third. By one point, dash it!

Rob didn't seem to get back home last night, must have done something gentlemanly.