Wednesday 9 June 2004

South Manchester Amatuer Operatic Society

Thought I probably ought to blog about my new Wednesday & Thursday night entertainment.

During term time, I'm in a choir, which is great fun. Unfortunately (for me) it's a student society, so in the summer everyone clears off, leaving me with no singing to do. So after seeing them do Oliver, I've joined SMAOS (South Manchester Amatuer Operatic Society), which should see me through the summer nicely.

Next show is La Cage Aux Folles, which is set in a drag club in San Tropez. Some good songs so far, nice harmonies & stuff, and get to go on stage in drag! From what I've heard, they're going to town on the costumes. I'm also now going along on the Wednesday night (which I've just got back from) to learn the dance steps. The upside of this is that I'll be on stage for just about the entire show, the downside is that I need to learn to dance in high heels. I can't dance in trainers, never mind heels!

The other problem is that I've no idea how to look camp. Wearing a dress, makeup and heels should go some way to helping with this - Mark very helpfully said that he didn't think I'd have any trouble! - but I've a nasty feeling that I'm going to just look like a bloke in a dress.